BFUHS Pi-Rates Score Third Place!

Lia Clark, News Editor

On Thursday March 30th, the BFUHS intermediate math team attended their fourth and final meet at Mascoma High School in Canaan, NH. Led by their fearless coach Sean Murphy, and intrepid captains Lia Clark and Mike Mueller, they scored a third place finish at the meet. Overall, the team rounded off the season in third place, only a few points short of second.

In addition to their team victory, a few students finished in the top ten for the Twin State Math League. Skylar Swan and Ian Wallace were among those few, and Lia Clark came in first, as the overall point scorer for the season! Congratulations to Skylar, Ian, Lia, and the whole team for their successful season!

The senior math team was unable to participate in the last meet unfortunately due to prior engagements.

The following week, staff-reporter Lia Clark was able to coordinate a live interview with intermediate coach Sean Murphy and asked him a few questions about the season. (All questions were approved by his publicist, Justin Aube, prior to the start of the interview.)

Clark: How do you feel about your team’s performance last Thursday?

Murphy: I was very impressed with their performance. I think that once we realized that we had a really good chance of getting top three the team stepped up. They practiced a little bit more, they were asking for extra practice problems and doing them on their own – which I thought was awesome. And, they are a competitive group so you have the kind of carrot of winning top three and they jumped at the opportunity which was pretty nice.

Clark: Were you surprised with their placing?

Murphy: No. I knew they were a strong group, so top three was not a surprise. I was definitely happy with it; I think they earned it. They worked hard to get there – they definitely deserved it – so it was nice that all their hard work was awarded with a third place plaque.

Clark: How would you describe this season?

Murphy: I think the season was a success. It was fun for me, it’s a fun group of kids and they definitely were willing to work hard when it mattered. They took the meets seriously, which was definitely nice, and makes it easy when there are no discipline issues and you can go out there and have fun. It’s a math team, it’s a small school, the kids have a ton of stuff going on, so trying to compete with the different sports seasons, the musical, the play, and the band, all of those different events [is difficult. It’s hard to] get a full team sometimes, but they definitely stepped up. They went to the four meets and did their best – which was great.

Clark: Describe how your team improved from the first meet to the last meet.

Murphy: I think they definitely improved, because there [were] some new people to the competition who had not done it before, and they just started to get used to the formatting and get used to what it looked like. Often as the meets progress, the questions will get tougher, and the categories will get tougher, but I think they stepped up, they did a great job – I mean, we placed in every meet. We got three thirds and a second, third place overall.

Clark: Assuming you come back to coach next year, assuming, will you be missing many important members from the team? Are you losing any valuable participants?

Murphy: Yeah, it actually reminds of two years ago when we had a really strong sophomore class, and we actually came in second overall. They moved on to the senior team, but because of other commitments, and the longer you are in high school – so Junior and Senior year – you tend to be more and more busy. There are more and more opportunities, and especially, as I said, that it is a really small school, but we offer a lot of options that big schools offer, so it kind of takes people in all sorts of directions… So this year’s sophomore class reminded me of the sophomore class from two years ago, and they will definitely be missed, and will be hard to replace. (tearing up)

Clark: What are you expecting for next year’s team?

Murphy: I think we will have a young team, because if you look at our freshman, we only had three, two of them were definitely committed and one of them participated when he could. [This means] that we are either going to have to recruit more [freshman] if we can, or recruit from the [8th grade class that will be here next year].

Clark: Any other comments about the team this year?

Murphy: I think I pretty much said it all.

Clark: Okay. Now for the final question, the most important question of the day: Choose one of the following words or phrases to describe Lia Clark: spectacular, amazing, genius, or practically perfect in every way.
Murphy: I would probably go with practically perfect in every
way.

Clark: Thank you. That concludes this interview.

Thank you to Sean Murphy for agreeing to answer a few questions. Remember to join the math team next year!