Terriers Track Teams Bring Home the Gold

Lia Clark, Editor

Two new banners will be hung, and two new legacies added to Title Town! BFUHS Boys and Girls Track Teams both won Division III State Titles for 2017 on Saturday, June 3 at Green Mountain High School in Chester. This is the fifth title in a row for the boy’s team, the second in a row for the girls, and the second consecutive year of a clean sweep for BF at the Vermont State Track and Field Championship Meet. 

After all eighteen events were scored, the boys had accumulated 177 points, giving them a lead over second place Thetford Academy by 60.4 points. The girls beat Oxbow by 47 points, scoring 144 on their way to victory. Going into the meet, the coaches had told the athletes that it would be tough to win this year, possibly coming down to one or two points. However, both teams proved them wrong by dominating in both track and field events. [Athletes score based on their finish place in an event; the top 6 positions receive points of 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, and 1 points respectively.]

There were many impressive performances by the Terriers at this meet, led by DJ Snide who won all four events he competed in: the triple jump, 110 and 300 meter hurdles, and the 100 meter dash. Reno Tuttle set a new Division III Vermont State record in Discus with a toss of 146 ft. 6 in., beating the old record held since 2008 by about three feet! In the boys’ High Jump, Freshman Gabe Hakimoglu came in second place, followed by Senior Caleb Lisai in third. In Shot Put, Tuttle finished in first place, and Teagan Bacon in fifth. To wrap up the boys field events, Shane Clark came in first in Javelin, second in pole vault, and second in Triple Jump and the 110 meter high hurdles, finishing behind Snide in those two events. 

On the track for boys, the 4 x 800 meter relay team of Cameron Joy, Keenan Lowe, Jackson Purdy, and Tim Salter-Roy kicked off the meet with a strong second place finish. Another impressive performance came in the boys 110 meter hurdles where the BF boys came in the top four! Snide, Clark, Lisai, and Freshman Hunter Smith!  The boys 4×100 team, consisting of Sawyer Reis, Hakimoglu, Connor Smith, and Joy won first place by over a second. Snide won the next event, the 300 meter hurdles, and Nicolas Potter scored in both the 1500 and 800 meter runs.

Some highlights of the girls field events include a second place finish in Shot Put by Emma Lawrence, and four girls scoring in the Discus throw! Savannah Bradbury won the event, followed by Keri Ticino, Lawrence, and Tess Kinney in sixth place. Also, Ticino was the overall winner of the Pole Vault, and Michelle Marchica won Triple Jump.

The girls 4×800 team – Megan Banik, Alice Salter-Roy, Meagan Kelly, and Madison Streeter – also started off the competition on the right foot, coming in first place with a strong finish by Streeter. In the 4×100 the girls team got second place due to impressive performances by Brigid Hodsden, Jasmine Boucher, Jaden Luebbert, and Abbe Cravinho. Michelle Marchica took first place in the 300 meter hurdles, securing more points for the team.

As a result of those highlights, both the Girls and Boys teams became track State champs once again! The rest of the team also gave memorable performances, many more scoring in the top six! (Even the Oxbow coaches later acknowledged that the Terriers’ participation numbers make them hard to beat, with so many athletic students choosing to participate in Track and Field.) After taking their victory lap, the team captains dumped a cooler of ice on the coaches, a thank you for all their hard work. The Terriers then received a traditional BF welcome as they rode into Title Town on the top of local fire trucks.

All photos courtesy to Kristie Lisai and Doug MacPhee

For more results check out:

http://802timing.com/results/17results/trackresults/6.3.17d3state/

To see the Channel 3 report, check out: http://www.wcax.com/story/35582857/bellows-falls-sweeps-d-3-track-championships