A Night of One Acts

Tehya Martin, Contributing Writer

This past Thursday, the students of Mrs. Emond’s Dramatic Performance performed selected one act plays written by the students themselves. These plays are Carthage, written and directed by Ira RIchardson, Snowden in: Snowed In, written and directed by Alden Parmalee, and Don’t Open the Door, written by Jon Skroki and directed by Poe Terena.

Alden Parmalee’s Snowed In play was the first one act put on by dramatic performance students to have an original musical number in it. Alden, the director himself, wrote the lyrics, and Paulryan Chipman composed the music. After Edward Snowden fled America, a member from his former employer, the NSA, tracked him down in Russia and takes residence in a secret home. The original score reflected a concern of an American citizen who learned about the tracking that the NSA does. Snowed in had the biggest applause and perhaps the most reaction from the audience.

Ira Richardson’s play Carthage is about a man and woman who are preparing themselves for the end of the world who decide to order a pizza, but once the pizza man gets to their house they receive word that a nuclear bomb has gone off in Washington DC. The pizza man is then caught in their bunker with the fate of the country in the hands of the three of them.

The last play performed was Jon Skroki’s Don’t Open the Door. Directed by Poe Terena, Don’t Open the Door is about a married couple that buy their first house. After they move in, they discover a strange small door behind an old piece of furniture that had been left behind decades ago. After Kyle Jones, the husband, decides to see what’s behind this door, he is never to be seen again. Despite the story of the door, many people begin to suspect his wife was the cause of his disappearance.

The Dramatic Performance Class’s Night of One Acts was one of the most successful ever to be put on. They reached the highest audience with 36 people. In the past there has been a maximum of 20.