NFL Offseason is On!

Caleb Lisai, Contributing Writer

The two main parts of the NFL offseason are the NFL draft and free agency. All eyes are on the big name veterans switching teams and the wide-eyed college kids who are ready to go to the next level. Now that both of those events have passed, it is becoming more clear which teams are looking the best for next season.

The Patriots offseason kicked off with a bang when they traded for top receiver Brandin Cooks who will be a terrific weapon for Tom Brady, along with the others already on the roster such as Julian Edelman and Chris Hogan. New England, however, did lose one of their starting running backs, Legarrette Blount, who signed with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Running backs have been the highlight of this offseason, as Marshawn Lynch came out of retirement to play for his hometown Oakland (Las Vegas) Raiders, and Adrian Peterson was released by the Minnesota Vikings and signed with the New Orleans Saints. These moves alone have shaken up the league already and are setting up some great matchups and rematches such as a Super Bowl 51 – a second go-around with the Falcons and the Patriots

The Draft went very well for most teams, but for the Chicago Bears – not so much. They had planned to take quarterback Mitchell Trubisky at the number three overall slot, but felt like the San Francisco 49ers would take him at number two (even though they were not going to), so Chicago traded up and gave up 3 draft picks to move up one spot to take a quarterback who would have been there at three and who has also started only 13 games in his college career. A team who could possibly have a bounce back season are the Cleveland Browns, after drafting 3 good players in the first round along with trades such as Brock Osweiler (QB) and Calvin Pryor (DB), as well as signing veteran defensive back Jason McCourty.

This is for sure shaping up to be an interesting and fun NFL season yet again.