2017 Beauty and the Beast: 4.5 Star Review!

Lia Clark, News Editor

Wonderfully enchanting, Disney’s live-action Beauty and the Beast successfully reignites the magic and awe in viewers’ favorite fairy tale. The acting is superb, the settings captivating, and the singing enchanting. It is a movie well worth the trip to the theater.

Emma Watson was the perfect choice for Belle – her stunning beauty and her gifted acting brings to life one of highest ranked Disney princesses. However, fans were skeptical of Watson’s singing voice, and unfortunately, she did not have the expected voice that any actress cast as Belle should. Her songs are adequate, but viewers can hear the auto tune more than they could for the rest of the cast. On the bright side, Watson’s prodigious acting skills make up for it and she still enchants the audience with a brilliant and emotional on-screen performance – not to mention the fact that she looked flawless in the traditional ball gown. (see below)

One of the crowds biggest concerns when going to see the film was the appearance of the beast. It was an unexpected surprise to see the real-life beast look exactly as imagined, and Dan Stevens was an impeccable match for the gruff but kind nature of the “monster.”

Lumiere, Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts, Babette, and Chip added a whole new dimension to the live action film, despite the fact that the actors and actresses were only onscreen for the last three minutes of the movie! Animators outdid themselves with the real-life portrayal of the living house items in the much anticipated song “Be Our Guest”. Emma Thompson’s singing of “Beauty and the Beast” was outstanding as well.

Gaston, played by Luke Evans, and Lefou, played by Josh Gad, brought both humor and horror to the film, and looked almost identical to the animated versions – Evans even had a “swell cleft in his chin” like Gaston! Some progressive ideas were added between these two characters as well — but you will have to watch the movie to find out.

While the acting and sets were on par, it was a bit of a disappointment to find the song “Human Again” left out. To make up for this, many new songs were added to the film, including one featuring the Beast.

The screenwriters didn’t incorporate every idea from the original animation into the live-action portrayal – which came as a shock – but they did add new depth to the plot with information long-awaited by fans regarding Belle’s mother.

Without giving too much more away, Beauty and the Beast deserves a 4.5 stars (of 5) rating by this critic’s views, and a glowing recommendation to see the movie. If you already have seen it and still want more Belle, Bellows Falls Union High School’s Drama Club premieres Beauty and the Beast on Friday March 24. Ellie Guyon gives a magnificent performance as Belle and the whole cast will blow the audience away with the ‘spectacularness’ of their performance. Come to the show if you long for an actual live-action performance of this favorite Disney classic.