Clean Sweep at Envirothon State Competition

Lia Clark, Editor

On Thursday, May 18th, BFUHS’ Envirothon team traveled over to Plymouth State Park in Ludlow Vermont for the State competition. Led by Captain Ira Richardson, the team took first place in all five categories and won first overall. As a result of their tireless efforts, the team will be heading to Maryland in late July for the North-American national competition where they will compete against American State and Canadian Province Champions.

Their journey to first place did have a few bumps along the way. The original team set to go consisted of Ira Richardson, Lia Clark, Olivia Lauricella, Michael Mueller, and Paul-Ryan Chipman. Due to AP Testing and other complications, Lauricella, Mueller, and Chipman were unable to attend. Only days before the competition the final team was secured. Ian Wallace, Ethan Lauricella, and Skylar Swan, previous Envirothon participants,  stepped in to take the places of those unable to go, studied hard, and helped Richardson and Clark pull off a clean sweep! Luckily, Lauricella and Swan had attended the New Hampshire Soils competition in the fall – where the team won and had some prior knowledge of the information going into the competition.

The five categories at the competition include: Aquatics, Soils, Wildlife, Forestry, and Orals. The BFUHS Envirothon team won all five! Advisor, Susan Steiner, was very pleased with the results, and mentioned that her team had never won the wildlife category before – let alone all of them! “The fact that we took all of this year is pretty nice.” After a day of challenging fun, the team qualified to head to the North American Envirothon competition in July, representing Bellows Falls and the State of Vermont. This summer, the group will meet as often as they can in preparation for the honorable event. “I think we are in a good place to do well. The main goal is exceeding our previous scores.” said Steiner.

In addition to their successes in the 2016-17 school year, the team is in a good position for next year as they are only losing one member off their winning team, Richardson, and Chipman, another active participant. Steiner feels they will have a strong team going into next year, but is hoping for new faces to join the winning team. The team welcomes new members and hopes to send a second team to States.  Could the team take first and second next year? Join Envirothon next year!

Congratulations to all club members, and good luck this summer!