Cleveland Cavaliers Hope for Ultimate 3-peat

from http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/playoffs/guide

Jacob Metcalfe, Contributing Writer

Starting three days earlier than last year, King James and the Cleveland Cavaliers will take the court June 1st at 9:00 at the Oracle Arena versus Steph Curry and the Golden State Warriors for the third straight year. Last year the Cavs won 4 games while the Warriors fell to them with 3 wins. The year before in 2015 where they met for the first of three finals, the Warriors won 4 games while Lebron and the Cavs only won 2 games. This third matchup is going to be the ultimate decision maker for the best team of the 2017 season, as well as for these two teams if they unfortunately never play each other again in the finals.

Although the Cavs took the trophy home last year, the Warriors have added a not-so-secret weapon to their team that could have an enormous impact on who could win the NBA finals. Kevin Durant, the former Oklahoma City Thunder star, signed with the Warriors at the beginning of the season in hope for his first ever Championship. When I asked BFUHS student Anthony Mueller, “Do you think the Warriors have a better chance winning the Championship with Kevin Durant?” he responded with, “I think it gives them a better chance but not the upperhand. Lebron is playing out of his mind right now and so is Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love so I still give the Cavs the advantage. But KD definitely makes them closer.”

In the postseason so far the Warriors have gone 12-0 beating all of it’s opponents in just 4 games out of a possible 7, while beating its opponents by an average of 16.3 points per game. Giving them the upperhand versus the Cavs who have a record of 12-1 in the postseason. This is one showdown for the books: the Cleveland Cavaliers with Lebron James, Kevin Love, and Kyrie Irving versus the Golden State Warriors with Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green. This is the type of matchup one would expect while playing NBA2K17 on the xbox or playstation.

When talking to a few BFUHS students I asked them who they think has the best chance to win the NBA finals. Amanda Cassell responded with “definitely the Warriors”, Tess Kinney went with the same vote, and lastly, Jakob Martin chose the reigning champs Cleveland Cavaliers. When I asked Amanda Cassell why she said definitely to the Warriors she responded with, “Kevin Durant brings a key component to the team that they did not have before this season”. To conclude, these are two phenomenal teams taking the court on June 1st to begin an unforgettable matchup that will be remembered for years and years to come.

At the time of publishing the Cavs are down two games to the Warriors who lead the series 2-0 with game 3 coming up fast. In both games Kevin Durant had monster numbers, in the first game specifically, Durant finished the night with 38 points, 9 rebounds, and 8 assists. This was 10 more points than any other player in that game – Lebron with 28 points, and Steph Curry with the same. In the second game Durant finished with remarkable numbers: 33 points, 13 rebounds, 5 blocks, and 3 steals. Again he beat any other player in that game for points and also rebounds; Lebron was the closest with 11 rebounds. When I asked Mr. Divis, the die hard Cleveland fan, “Does adding Kevin Durant to their roster boost their chances of beating the Cleveland Cavaliers?” He responded with, “Immensely! The Cavs need more players to step up and lead the team, Lebron cannot do everything for them in these finals. The Warriors are like a five headed team and players such as Tristan Thompson, Shumpert, and Kyrie need to improve their stats if they want to beat them.” In addition when I asked Mr. Divis, “Do you think the Cavs still have a chance if they lose game 3?” he responded with, “Tonight’s game is crucial, if they do not win, they will lose their chance at winning the series.” They wound up losing in game 3, but held on with a win in game 4. Now the real question is, will the Cavs hold on to win it all?