The Howler

The Howler

That’s a Wrap!

Abbe Cravinho, Staff Writer

After the exhausting, doubles of preseason, outstanding seasons, spectacular performances, and cut throat postseasons, the BFUHS Falls Sports season has come to a close. With hard work, time and effort put in by each individual athlete, each team succeeded in closing their season on a good note.

The girls and boys soccer teams put forth enormous amounts of effort in their seasons. The girls finished with a strong win over Black River, scoring two goals to Black River’s one; they finished their season 1-14. The boys strung together a large team this year and finished their season 1-12-1, beating Proctor 5-3 and tying Black River 3-3 in double overtime. 

The football team soared through their season finishing with a 7-2 record, only falling to rivals Burr and Burton Academy and Fair Haven Union. After tackling each game, learning more and more as the season pushed on, the Terrier’s found themselves seeded 4th headed into play offs. In the quarter final game, they faced off against Lyndon winning 62-21.  Advancing to the next game, BFUHS outscored Burr and Burton 22-16, landing a spot in the Division Two State Championship game against Fair Haven. On November 11, Coach Lockerby and his team of Terriers traveled to Rutland High School to face off against FHU, and after a long, hard fight, unfortunately, BF fell to Fair Haven 46-20.

The Cross Country team ran away with Fourth (Boys) and Fifth (Girls) place at the Vermont State Meet. After winding, long runs through the trails and hard workouts, the girls and boys team placed well at the meet. Individually, Lia Clark made her mark for the girls pool placing fifth, and Timothy Salter-Roy placed ninth, topping the Bellows Falls boys.

The BFUHS field hockey team found themselves ranked number one in Division two with an undefeated regular season. The squad of girls outscored their opponents 109-4 and found themselves at their third state championship. In quarter finals, the girls paired up with Middlebury High School beating them 6-0. Next, the girls tackled the Burr and Burton Bulldogs, clinching a 3-0 advancing to the state final. The Bellows Falls field hockey team topped Spaulding High school 6-0 in the Division Two State Championship, winning their third straight title. On top of that, the girls grabbed their fifth straight MVL trophy.

After much success this fall, let’s hope the effort and success transfers to the winter sports season!