The Howler

The Howler

May 4th, a Day of Hope

Lia Clark, Staff Writer

It’s the greatest day of the year. May the Fourth. Star Wars Day!

As I sit in front of my cubby, watching the excited faces of fellow fans walk by, clad in their Star Wars apparel, I can’t help but smile and think back on my relationship with the Star Wars franchise.

In late May of 1977, the first Star Wars movie was released, “A New Hope”. My father, a young eleven year old, walked into the theatre with his friend, expecting another lifeless action and sci-fi movie along with the rest of America, but walked out shocked, his world changed forever. The Star Wars movies spread like fire throughout America as fans popped up literally everywhere.

The trilogies have been integral parts of numerous episodes of modern hit television shows such as “Friends”, “The Office”, “How I Met Your Mother”, and most notably, “The Big Bang Theory”. Additionally, as those like my father now have kids of their own, multiple television series and movie revivals have been made to grab the hearts of young viewers.

After the huge success of the first three movies, the three prequels that followed were met with criticism from fans. This is why the announcement of six more Star Wars movies – another trilogy and three or more spin offs – was so surprising and the would be reaction of long time fans come screen time was debated. The new movies have been successful for the most part, but nothing can beat the first three movies George Lucas graced the world with.

I remember watching “A New Hope” for the first time, a young child of seven, or eight, watching the screen with bulging eyes and an open mouth. There had been nothing like these movies in my life before, and there will never be anything like them again.

Today, on May the Fourth, I sit with my Darth Vader sweater, my star wars T-shirt, and my red lightsaber strapped at my hip, basking in the glow of unconditional love for the greatest movie franchise of all time. The franchise that brought C-3PO and R2-D2 to life, that blessed America with the talents of the indisputably talented Harrison Ford, created the world’s greatest villain, and altered Hollywood with imaginative characters and worlds deserves this day of celebration.

May the Fourth be with you, and may you enjoy a Star Wars movie marathon later tonight.