The Howler

The Howler

A Night of One Acts

Lia Clark, Staff Writer

On Thursday, May 31st, the Bellows Falls Dramatic Performance class performed two student written, directed, and performed one act plays. The students, lead by teacher Mrs. Emond, wrote their own one act plays at the beginning of the semester and after weeks of revisions, read them with the class. After hearing the scripts produced, the class voted on two one Act plays to perform: “The Family Dog” written by senior Zoe Schemm and “All in a Day” by junior Emily Wunderle. The class then split into two groups and spent the next weeks prepping for the performance.

After hours of rehearsals, the night of one acts finally arrived, delivered expertly in front of an eager audience. “The Family Dog” was performed first. The act started with a family of four, played by Zoe Schemm, senior Kylie Comstock, senior Laurel Salter-Dimma, and junior Angel Bixler, stranded on a desert island after their cruise ship sank. They were joined by their beloved dog, Lady. As hunger gnawed at their bones and their lips cracked with thirst, the family began to contemplate some dark thoughts. “I think we should eat Lady!”, the mother first suggested. The remainder of the Act was an emotional dispute between morality and life as the family struggled to come to terms with a decision that had already been made. Comedic and heart wrenching conversation was intertwined with bursts of hauntingly deep and poetic monologue, powerfully delivered by Zoe Schemm. In the end, the family was rescued from the island and lived their lives as all other ordinary American families do, but not before they sacrificed their family dog.

Following “The Family Dog” was “All in a Day” directed by Emily Wunderle. This one act followed four strangers as fate, seemingly purposely, brought them together through a shared struggle. Throughout the course of the day, a teenage mother, played by Kylie Comstock, a homeless women, played by Kim Lawrence, a struggling artist, played by Emily Wunderle, and a recently fired cop, played by junior Noah Fennessey, convene and connect over the disparities in their life. This performance incorporated elements of puppetry in a unique way as the actors and actresses attempted to paint unseen pictures for the audience. As each character worked through their own tragedy, tensions grew between the group, and the day ended at gunpoint as, after all, they were only strangers.

Both one acts were deemed a success by all in the audience, and all are excited for the night of one acts next year.

Congratulations to this year’s performers on a job well done!