The Howler

The Howler

BFUHS Fall Sports Overview

Abbe Cravinho, Staff Writer

Bellows Falls fall sport season has sprung into action this 2018 season.  Fall Sports has a high participation rate this year, giving every team plenty of players to field or compete in each race or game. Only half way through the season for some teams, each team is striving to complete at the top of their game.

The Bellows Falls field hockey team had a great start, outscoring their opponents 42-0, currently sitting 6-0. Moving up to Division One this year, they hope to grab another championship trophy and compete with the northern teams for the number one spot. The team will be graduating 12 seniors this year, leaving a strong group of promising individuals behind for the future years. The JV team is off to a great start as well, winning their first three games. Without many substitutions, or none at some times, the girls have done a fantastic job working through a game and giving it their all for the win.

The girls soccer team is up and coming this year after adding a large number of new players to the JV and Varsity rosters. With these numbers increasing, the results are bound to follow. The Varsity soccer team gained their first win of the season on September 26th with a 3-1 win over Black River. The girls hope to continue this recent turn of form and excel throughout the rest of the season. The boys soccer team had a large crop of freshmen join this year, creating intense competition against every opponent. Almost without a coach this season, and a large number of freshmen starters, the boys have started to click as a team. Their captains led their team to a strong win over Black River and are looking forward to their next set of games.

On the trails, Coach Eno and Coach Clark are more than excited this year after having the largest cross country team in recent years. With a full boys and girls team, both teams will be able to compete at the state meet and possibly claim another state championship under their belts. With intense training from each individual, the cross country team is out for blood on their competitors. [Update: The Girls’ team has improved rapidly this season, winning their first Connecticut Valley Conference team title in 35 years, as well as the Marble Valley League championship. The state meet is October 27 at Thetford for the Boys and Girls teams.

The football team is racing through Division II starting their season 3-1. From the players themselves, Captain Braden Maxfield said that they plan on improving throughout their season and are very happy with the “young back field as they mature quickly with every game.” Recently, Burr & Burton Academy gave them a run for their money as they competed on the turf in Manchester, but they quickly bounced back with a huge win over rival Springfield, outscoring them 46-8.

With strong numbers, promising players, and great seasons so far, Bellows Falls fall sports are bound for a number of champions. As we sing from the top of our lungs at each sports event, “Bellows Falls Ever Glorious” remains in the heart of every BFUHS fall sports athlete.