Math Team Travels to Lebanon

Math Team Travels to Lebanon

Sydney Bazin, Staff Writer

After the BF’s intermediate team claimed the third place spot in the October math meet in Hanover they were looking to advance to an even higher placement in December’s meet. The intermediates, who’s mascot is the Pirates (get it…. PI-rates?!), had to answer questions from the following categories: simplifying polynomials, algebra 1 word problems, coordinate geometry, and probability and statistics. The senior math team from Bellows Falls also traveled to Lebanon to compete. The senior division categories were: irrational numbers and radicals, sequences (series and progressions), algebraic functions, and quadratics in one variable.

After each member of the two teams completed their categories they were allowed to head back to the cafeteria to claim their prize: a traditional cookie and piece of pizza. For the intermediate division, although they didn’t do as well as hoped, BF’s team received fifth place with a total of 60 points. The top three teams were Kearsarge Blue (3rd), Hanover (2nd), and KUA (1st), with totals of 77, 100, and 106 points. On the other end of the spectrum, Bellows Falls’ senior team got sixth place, with a total of 45 points. For their age group Lebanon Maroon came in 3rd with 62 points, KUA claimed second with 138, and Hanover A got 1st with a whopping 141 tallies. Tylar Stanley, a sophmore, stepped up for Bellows Falls and competed in the senior division so they would have enough students on the team, which he contributed to their 45 points. Although neither Bellows Falls team placed, each kid who competed did a great job. The BF PIrates will continue to grow stronger and are prepared to SAIL (get it) into first place in January at the next meet.