The Howler

The Howler

For the Procrastinators

Back to Article
Back to Article

For the Procrastinators

Emily Bazin, Staff Writer

Procrastination. It’s always been a trademark teenage thing. In extreme cases, teenagers let all assignments, chores, and responsibilities pile up until they reach the ceiling. One doesn’t necessarily choose this sloppy lifestyle of unproductiveness, it chooses them. Yes, I know it sounds corny blaming procrastination, as if it’s human itself, for the serious time-management problem some have. But does anyone want to be a procrastinator? Every teenager deals with some type of procrastination, some sort of delaying work. No one is perfect, and no one can constantly be on time.

As kids, for many us, it gets to the point of, “man I just don’t want to do this.” While I can’t speak for all my fellow students, I can speak for myself and my own experiences. For me, procrastination comes from a lack of motivation that one may experience. Usually, for adolescents that is, procrastination forms around homework. Who wants to go home after a seven hour school day and do two hours of homework? Not to mention, teens in school often participate in extracurriculars, including drama club, sports, and various clubs. More than likely, these practices last for two hours. Often, students don’t even get home at the end of the school day, but instead around five or six. Say if a student has an hour or two of homework, then must eat dinner, and take a shower, do they have any free time unless they stay up late? It often feels like an endless loop. School day, practice, homework, eat, sleep, repeat. So maybe, procrastination is a reaction against the norm.

One shouldn’t think of a teen who doesn’t want to do their homework as unproductive in all cases, but instead someone who just wants a break from their routine. So don’t shame the occasional procrastinators. We all need a break sometimes.